Samba server syncs smbpasswd file with unix user passwords even though the option is turned off

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 13 23:00:03 UTC 2008

On 06/13/2008 06:56 AM, Moritz Reiter wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am running a samba server on hardy server edition. I installed samba
> via tasksel.
>
> There is one strange thing with: The samba server seems to be syncing
> its smbpasswd file with the unix shadow password file even though the
> according option is turned off. The behavior is like this: When I set
> the samba password of my user on the server with smbpasswd, I am able to
> login to my shares with the password I just set. But when I want to
> access the shares a few minutes later with the very same password I get
> a 'permission denied' and now I can login with the unix password of the
> user on the server.

[snip]

Just a guess...

Do you by chance have libpam-smbpass installed?
<quote>
pluggable authentication module for SMB/CIFS password database
This is a stackable PAM module that allows a system administrator to
easily migrate to using encrypted passwords for Samba and to keep smb
passwords in sync with unix passwords.  Unlike other solutions, it does
this without requiring users to change their existing passwords or login
to Samba using cleartext passwords.
</quote>