Samba server syncs smbpasswd file with unix user passwords even though the option is turned off

Moritz Reiter verwertungsprozess at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:56:14 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I am running a samba server on hardy server edition. I installed samba
via tasksel.

There is one strange thing with: The samba server seems to be syncing
its smbpasswd file with the unix shadow password file even though the
according option is turned off. The behavior is like this: When I set
the samba password of my user on the server with smbpasswd, I am able to
login to my shares with the password I just set. But when I want to
access the shares a few minutes later with the very same password I get
a 'permission denied' and now I can login with the unix password of the
user on the server.

I don't want the samba password to be the same as the password of the
unix user because I want to store the samba password in a plain text
credentials file on the client machine as this is the only way I know to
mount samba shares via fstab without being prompted for a password.

Here's some testparm out which shows that the unix password sync option
is really turned off:

mo at mir:~$ sudo testparm -sv /etc/samba/smb.conf|grep "unix password sync"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[media]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
         unix password sync = No

I looked into the samba logs as well but as I'm not a samba expert at
all I well might have overlooked something. If you need more output or
log file content to help me, please let me know. I would very much
appreciate any hints on whats going on.

Thanks for reading,
--
Moritz Reiter <verwertungsprozess at gmail.com>