Forget Hardy

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Jun 12 01:31:22 UTC 2008

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> ke, 2008-06-11 kello 10:38 -0400, Bart Silverstrim kirjoitti:
>> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> Am Mittwoch, den 11.06.2008, 09:54 -0400 schrieb Bart Silverstrim:
>
> [...]
>>>>
>>> but also to get this information across in a respectful human way ...
>> Dammit, there goes my brainworms idea. Respectful, but not quite human.
>>
>> Would it be fair to say you just want people to be nice in answering
>> questions unless provoked?  good summary, yeah? No?
>>
>> Again...I really don't think the concerns you're voicing are really
>> common on this list, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm not really
>> here to pick a fight with you :-)
>

> You seem to be missing yourself. This is what you said yesterday:
>
> "Everyone gets a lashing here at some point. You keep trying to learn
> and grow a thicker skin and you'd be fine".

I remember saying that...but...how does this contradict what I said in
the quote before? I was asking you if it would be fair to sum up your
position as you want people to be nice in answering questions unless the
answerers are provoked...you're quoting my statement that everyone on
the list gets a lashing at some point and you just end up chalking it up
as something that's going to happen. No?

The part beginning "again..." was a reference to the overall topic
argument in the first place; I don't recall seeing this behavior as
common, everyday occurrences. This is probably the part you were just
referring to; respectfully, I submit this elaboration: everyone ends up
feeling like they are (or really do get) attacked on this list at some
point, but I don't think it's a common event. I don't post here, and I
don't think most of the people on the list, post here expecting to be
abused for it, and there are usually circumstances or some provocation
when it does happen.

Is that fair?