OT: which to use - email client or web-based email?

Clayton smaug42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 06:54:24 UTC 2008

> I think gmail threads better than Thunderbird - but that's only
> opinion.  I don't have any facts to back that up...

GMail's threading is actually _not_ better than Thunderbird.  GMail
bases threading on subject.  All you need to do to break GMail's
threading is add a space of an extra letter to the subject line.
Thunderbird, on the other hand, threads messages correctly using the
message ID.

GMail is also not mailing list friendly.  You cannot set a "reply to
list" and you end up having to rely on the list manager munging the
mail headers like is done here on the Ubuntu list, or in a list that
leaves the headers alone, you must change the To: field with every
reply.

That said, I have been using GMail to manage my mailing list
subscriptions for quite a few years.  It works well once you learn to
work within it's limitations.  Best of all, it's SPAM management is
second to none.

C.