Harty Beta will not load

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 11 01:32:28 UTC 2008

On 06/10/2008 05:58 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     I have a CD-Rom I made with the downloaded Hardy Beta. I loaded it
> and it worked fine. Today I tried to load it to /dev/sda6 and I got it
> to start loading. It proceeded as if it was happy but instead of asking
> about grub setup it went back to the CD. I can mount /dev/sda6 to my
> working 7.10 and it is a almost a complete load but when I looked at
> boot there was no grub directory. This happened 3 times.

I can only presume (as you've still not clarified) that this is a Hardy
Beta LiveCD. I would not recommend using an old beta CD - I use my old
one's for throwing/frisbee'ing at the neighbor's cat that keeps pooping
in my front yard.

I _do_ recommend that you download and use a current Hardy 8.04 CD, and
even burn a current Alternate CD just in case. Be sure to do the md5sum
of the download (listed on the download site), burn the CD at a slow
rate (I've always had good luck with 4x). When you boot with the CD,
make sure to select the "Check CD for defects" and let it go through the
check process.

I also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the Alternate CD. ,
I've _always_ had problems from installing with the LiveCD; partially
due to the fact that I still maintain and use very old hardware with
limited memory, and also due to the fact that Ubuntu hasn't quite got
the LiveCD bit's down like Knoppix. If all else fails, use the Alternate
CD and in most all cases that one will work.

As for the "Today I tried to load it to /dev/sda6: does that mean that
you are trying to use the LiveCD to load Ubuntu onto an
alternate/existing partition?  If so, then I've no advise. You'll need
to provide the partition details, system detail, etc., etc., so that
others can help you.