Forget Hardy

mwbesemer at cox.net mwbesemer at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 21:27:31 UTC 2008

Mario,

I agree... unfriendly is probably a better term.  And yes, sometimes it's for the sake of brevity... but sometimes it's not and to the newbie that can be daunting.  Perception is reality, as I'm sure you're aware.

Regarding Karl... yes, you deserve some slack!

The power of the reflector is that we all bring something to the table (even the frequent P.I.T.A.'s) and (as stated before) the power of Ubuntu is this huge support base we have.

Mike
---- Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 16:58 -0400, mwbesemer at cox.net wrote:
> In all honesty, I've managed to work out the problems I was having using
> other resources (other lists and Internet research).  I will not post to
> a reflector until I've at least made an attempt to solve the problem myself.

This is very helpful of you, and I often wish it was a more common
trait :)

>  Nontheless, I do READ most of the traffic here and while I fully recognize
> that some people can try the patience of the list en-masse, I've been
> somewhat intimidated by the tones of some of the members here.

Maybe I have been on mailing lists for too long, but I seriously can't
see intimidating tone for the vast, vast majority of the time. I know
that I can come across unfriendly, I think most of the time because I
try to write short and to the point, and cut out the fluff. This is to
limit time spent on posts. I also tend to answer the issues that come up
repeatedly or all the time, where a quick link to the docs is more
efficient (and more helpful) than coming up with a new explanation every
time. I usually leave the more time-consuming help to others (sorry
guys :)

Sometimes I am also annoyed, more or less rightfully. (I think I have
deserved some slack re Karl :)

I have tried to be more accommodating recently.

But again, I believe that the Code of Conduct is observed pretty well on
the list. I guess you have to allow for the fact that is _is a mailing
list after all, with all the baggage that comes with that.

>  There are
> a lot of us out there who are no strangers to computers (I've had computers
> in my ham shack since the TRS80 Model I and have spend a good deal of time
> as a user on Unix systems) but are new to Linux/Ubuntu and need advice at
> that level.  In other words, I'm not stupid, but I AM ignorant.

I am sure that with your attitude of doing some research yourself before
asking, you will receive plenty of help. If in doubt, consult this

> Okay... I'm taking off my flame-retardant underwear... didn't mean to start a war.

:) cheers