Sharing printer on XP for Ubuntu

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 05:06:31 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I am trying to implement Ubuntu within the users of XP, where I am
finding difficulty to print on shared printer of  XP, from Ubuntu
node.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04.
One Laserjet printer HP 1020 in installed on Win XP PC and shared. All
the other XP PCs/users can print through that shared printer. But my
Ubuntu PC could not detect that printer, I have tried through

System > Administration > Printing > New Printer > Windows Printer via
SAMBA > Browse

I can browse the PC but could not detect the attached shared printer.
I have even tried using IP address, but failed to detect the printer.
Firewall is off at both the PCs.
"Print Services for Unix" is also installed on XP PC.

Can any body help me Where I am wrong to connect to shared printer.

regards

Arun