Sharing printer on XP for Ubuntu

Dubh Aingeal ubuntu at dubh-aingeal.com
Wed Jul 9 12:42:44 UTC 2008

Arun Shrimali wrote:
*snip*
> System > Administration > Printing > New Printer > Windows Printer via
> SAMBA > Browse
>
> I can browse the PC but could not detect the attached shared printer.
> I have even tried using IP address, but failed to detect the printer.
> Firewall is off at both the PCs.
> "Print Services for Unix" is also installed on XP PC.
>

> Can any body help me Where I am wrong to connect to shared printer.

This is what I did a few days ago to add a my new HP Printer to 8.04:

1. Choose System - Administration - Printing - New Printer
2. Choose Windows Printer via Samba
3. Inserted the details of the network printer and click Forward.  (in
my case  smb://DOMAIN/PC-NAME/PRINTER-NAME for some reason it always
seems to need to be capitals)
4. Selected the printer model and then clicked Apply.

I've never actually tried using the browse function. Just got into the
habit of entering the information for the printers network location.