Looking for an picture management program - ideas please.

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Jul 5 17:44:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:54:05PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > Now the big issue is that I want to be able to sort these directories
> > containing the images in chronological order.  This basically requires
> > either that the program allows me to add some sort of property to an
> > image directory indicating its date or it allows me to sort the
> > directories manually.
>
> What I do in this situation is to save each album (photos on one topic
> or of one trip) in a directory whose name is based on the starting date
> of the photos. For example, if I took pictures of an event starting the
> 10 of July of this year, I would save the photos in
> 20080710-photos-topic (ISO format, yyyymmdd). This format always gives
> me chronological order if sorted alphabetically.

Hmm, yes, that sort of works but it isn't very elegant.  Firstly I
really want to be able to view a year at a time.  That's easy enough
with directories called 2005, 2006, 2007 etc.  However if I name the
albums within a directory as you suggest (less the year of course) I
end up with directories like:-

    0410 - Easter holiday cottage
    0415 - Newbourne
    0430 - Dilly dog
    0610 - Canal holiday

Those numbers are just plain ugly and difficult to understand IMHO,
not to mention that they're a waste of space in the sidebar which is
quite tight for space anyway.  Much nicer (and *much* easier to
understand) would be:-

    Easter holiday cottage
    April Newbourne
    April Dilly Dog
    June Canal Holiday

Or, possibly even better:-

    Cottage holiday Easter
    Newbourne - April
    Dilly Dog - April
    Canal Holiday - June

Either of these require the ability to sort albums/dirctories by date
(or some other user criterion).

> > Even if I use numbers for the months (01 - Jan, 02 - Feb, etc.) it's
> > not a perfect solution because different directories for the same
> > month will still not be sorted correctly (e.g. April above).
>
> If you are taking digital pictures, one of the solutions could be name
> the files based on their dates of creation using their exif information.
> And then to put those in an appropriately named folder.

How does that help?  It's only if the album/folder/directory is named
the same that you get the right sort order.

--
Chris Green