Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

John Carlyle-Clarke jpcc at nowhere.org
Thu Jan 10 09:13:31 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Moving some e-mails to their respective folders where I want them ...
> ... also produces an entry in the Trash folder and this really drives me
> crazy !!
>
> Why does this happen like this ???
>

> I find it absolutely confusing and NOT necessary !!!
> I believe that ONLY deleted messages shall go to Trash !!
> The rest remain either in the Inbox or where they have been
> copied/moved !

This is expected behaviour.  When you delete a message in Evolution, it
marks it as deleted and leaves it in place, but hidden.  When you empty
the Trash folder, it deletes the message properly.  The Trash folder is
not a location, it's a virtual folder which shows all messages in all
folders marked as deleted.  Since a move is accomplished by a copy +
delete, you can understand why one consequence of this design is that
the message in the original location ends up showing in the Trash.

I'm afraid it's a feature, not a bug :)