Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Jan 10 07:11:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 10:57 +1000, James Takac wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008 10:31:17 SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Hello Ubuntu - Evolution experts & users
> > Evolution drives me crazy !
> >
> > Moving some e-mails to their respective folders where I want them ...
> > ... also produces an entry in the Trash folder and this really drives me
> > crazy !!
> >
> > Why does this happen like this ???
> >

> > I find it absolutely confusing and NOT necessary !!!
> > I believe that ONLY deleted messages shall go to Trash !!
> > The rest remain either in the Inbox or where they have been
> > copied/moved !
> >

> > With always an additional entry in Trash it becomes very inconvenient
> > to check and overview the correct deletion or relocation ot the mail.
> >
> > Is Evolution really working like this or do I make an error ...
> > ... handling or settings ???
> >
> > Your advice and guidance to overcome this is very appreciated !!!
> > Cheers, svobi
>

> Hi svobi
>
> Whilst I don't use evolution perse I did have something like this once. I set
> up some filters for my mails and inadvertantly got it copying them to the
> trash folder as well. So if you've set up some filters, maybe worth a good
> look at them to see if they are the culprit
>
> James

Hi james
Thanks for your feedback !

Yes, I do have filters ...
... and I had / still have some set going to Trash correctly !!

What drives me crazy is another thing, i.e. :

My Folder structure are very methodic and organized.
Under ITC exist i.e. a folder OS containing an Ubuntu folder and then
finally Users-List, showing as path like following:

\WSxxx\ITC\OS\Ubuntu\IG\Users-List !!! ;-)

Now, getting your mail I decide to keep it and move it to that described
folder !
OK, the move went there and the task seems done !?
Not really because Evolution places one more copy into Trash !!! ;-(

That's crazy and absolutely unnecessary !!

In my eyes this crazy / ugly habit, if it is meant as a features, makes
Evolution UN-usable for me ! ;-(

But may be: It's my mistake because something I may have set wrongly !?

Another 2 features I am really missing are:

1a) The table of accounts cannot being sorted !
1b) Getting e-mails very curiously Evolution starts from bottom up ...
... instead from top (more important) down !!

2) The table of filters too cannot being sorted !!

I may add another postings regarding these 2 topics !?

Cheers, svobi

PS:
Generally I would love to install and use Lotus Notes as most preferred