Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Jan 10 12:55:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:13 +0000, John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Moving some e-mails to their respective folders where I want them ...
> > ... also produces an entry in the Trash folder and this really drives me
> > crazy !!
> >
> > Why does this happen like this ???
> >

> > I find it absolutely confusing and NOT necessary !!!
> > I believe that ONLY deleted messages shall go to Trash !!
> > The rest remain either in the Inbox or where they have been
> > copied/moved !
> >

> This is expected behaviour.  When you delete a message in Evolution, it
> marks it as deleted and leaves it in place, but hidden.  When you empty
> the Trash folder, it deletes the message properly.  The Trash folder is
> not a location, it's a virtual folder which shows all messages in all
> folders marked as deleted.  Since a move is accomplished by a copy +
> delete, you can understand why one consequence of this design is that
> the message in the original location ends up showing in the Trash.
>
> I'm afraid it's a feature, not a bug :)

Hi John
Thanks for your enlightening feedback !
I expected something like this !!

Well, if one is absolutely sure that its filter settings are error free
and perfect,
then I agree fullest with you ...
... but with only one filter not working properly this feature
complicates the
check and search of mislead e-mails ;-(

Well, I may have to live with this until I get my Lotus Notes on
Ubuntu ;--|

Cheers, svobi