No subject

David Koski david at kosmosisland.com
Sun Jan 6 05:30:31 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 20:01, Luis Mondesi wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 10:53 PM, James Gray <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
> > > Raid 0 has the risk of data corruption that usually happens after a
> > > certain amount of time. Is using LVM2 for striping safer than raid 0?
>
> Given the benefit of the doubt and assuming he/she knows what striping
> means. Which is better? To use software-raid 0, real hardware raid 0
> or LVM2 for striping.
>
> IMHO I believe it's better to use hardware-based raid 0. Is there a
> risk of data corruption? I never heard of that.

I have seen bad hardware raid controllers corrupt data more than once.
Furthermore, when using hardware raid, you usually need special software for
monitoring and managing the raid system.  That is if the software is
available for Linux.  And when it is, it is often prioriety, sometimes
available for only RedHat version XX.  With Linux software raid you can
monitor and manage it without special software.

<snip>

Regards,
David Koski
david at kosmosisland.com