Enabling Restricted Drivers for Wireless card

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:40:01 UTC 2008

On 05/01/2008, Andrew P. Burgess <apb at live.ca> wrote:
> I'm trying to get connected to my wireless network on Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon (on a
> laptop). When I open the restricted drivers dialog, I see this: "Firmware for
> Broadcom 43xx chipset family, not in use." When I check the box to enable it, I
> get this message: "While the bcm43xx driver is free, it relies on proprietary
> firmware. Without that you will not be able to use
> your wireless card." I select "enable", and get this message: "The software
> source for the package bcm43xx-fwcutter is not enabled." Where do I get this
> proprietary firmware? Or is there something else need to do to enable wireless?

I have never had a problem like this, since I have no such hardware,
but it sounds to me like you're going to have to add an extra
repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file to fetch the proprietary
firmware. What or where that might be, I can't tell you.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508