Looking for a CLI tool for MP3 tagging

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 04:51:25 UTC 2008

On 2/29/08, Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> wrote:
> I stand corrected. I switched only recently, in January, from SUSE
>  to Ubuntu and assumed without check that the UTF-8 breakage is the
>  same if the application version is the same. It isn't.

Hello Joachim,

Actually I assumed you were talking about amarok on Ubuntu... I can't
recall how it worked on SuSE about a year ago, when I had a short
OpenSuSE intercourse (for about a week or so).

>  I just checked again: On SUSE, amarok 1.4.7 (from packman) does not
>  recognize a file with a utf-8-encoded name; on the playlist, it's
>  greyed out and an error message is output to stderr. On Ubuntu, it
>   works as intended. (With cosmetic problems: the file pane doesn't
>  show the UTF-8-characters of filenames, but the octets.) Both
>  times, amarok is called in locale en_US.utf8.
>
>  If you're interested, two screenshots, from SUSE and Ubuntu:
>  http://www.schrod.org/amarok-suse.png
>  http://www.schrod.org/amarok-ubuntu.png

Indeed, amarok with the system's locale set to en_US.UFT-8 always does
the trick (at least for me). Since amarok 1.4.5, I always had
something like the following screenshot... and assumed this normal :-)
(notice the file names themselves are in UTF-8).
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1957/amarokutf8kw6.png