Looking for a CLI tool for MP3 tagging

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Fri Feb 29 02:09:06 UTC 2008

Alexandra Zaharia wrote:
> On 2/28/08, Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> wrote:

Hello, Alexandra

>>  Concerning renaming files with Amarok, you must be careful.
>>  I haven't yet tried amarok 1.4.8, but 1.4.7 sucks if you have UTF-8
>>  chars in your song titles and want to have them in your file names
>>  as well.
>
> No Amarok version from 1.4.5 -> 1.4.8 had ever 'sucked' in my case
> when fiddling around with retagging files. By the way, ~60-70% of my
> music uses non-Latin tags (encoded in UTF-8 I suppose) and the file
> names as well. Could you explain what problems you've had with amarok
> 1.4.7 and Unicode tags / file names?

I stand corrected. I switched only recently, in January, from SUSE
to Ubuntu and assumed without check that the UTF-8 breakage is the
same if the application version is the same. It isn't.

I just checked again: On SUSE, amarok 1.4.7 (from packman) does not
recognize a file with a utf-8-encoded name; on the playlist, it's
greyed out and an error message is output to stderr. On Ubuntu, it
  works as intended. (With cosmetic problems: the file pane doesn't
show the UTF-8-characters of filenames, but the octets.) Both
times, amarok is called in locale en_US.utf8.

If you're interested, two screenshots, from SUSE and Ubuntu:
http://www.schrod.org/amarok-suse.png
http://www.schrod.org/amarok-ubuntu.png

Well, a data point where Ubuntu works better than SUSE. :-)

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany