(Now OT) Thin client question - (I think?)

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 23:53:25 UTC 2008

On 02/28/2008 09:27 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>

>> What about purchasing a second server to run terminal services?
>>

> If it's just for personal study, is your system "big enough" to run a
> terminal server in a virtual machine?

Yeah, I could try that.  My original question was about a production
environment.  But I'm wanting to learn, so . . .
> If you already have a system configured but is going to be repurposed,
> there is a utility (free) from vmware that will convert the computer
> into an image to run. You may have to alter a couple drivers on first
> start (and be sure to plan for the network settings so you don't have a
> dupe on the network if one is on while the other is booting),

Not sure what you mean.  If I run, for example, XP-Pro in a VM on my
ubuntu box, do they have a separate network address?

>  but I've
> imaged...6?...servers from win2k to win2003 with that tool.

Do you run them all in VM's from one hardware box?

> *shrug* just an idea, if you're just studying it for your own purposes
> and learning.

I think I should try this on a hobby machine and poke around a bit.

Thanks for the idea.