(Now OT) Thin client question - (I think?)

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Feb 29 00:43:45 UTC 2008

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 02/28/2008 09:27 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>

>>> What about purchasing a second server to run terminal services?
>>>

>> If it's just for personal study, is your system "big enough" to run a
>> terminal server in a virtual machine?
>>

> Yeah, I could try that.  My original question was about a production
> environment.  But I'm wanting to learn, so . . .

Sorry...I only glanced at the one I replied to, where at the end I
thought it said the point was moot at the organization in question but
you wanted to learn about it.  I've found that the approach I suggested
works best when my employment situation poo-poo's an idea I have from
which I'd learn something.

>> If you already have a system configured but is going to be repurposed,
>> there is a utility (free) from vmware that will convert the computer
>> into an image to run. You may have to alter a couple drivers on first
>> start (and be sure to plan for the network settings so you don't have a
>> dupe on the network if one is on while the other is booting),
>
> Not sure what you mean.  If I run, for example, XP-Pro in a VM on my
> ubuntu box, do they have a separate network address?

If you bridge the network for vmware, yes.  You can't have a real
machine on 192.168.0.2 and a virtual machine on your system, on the same
network and bridged, in a vmware session with the address 192.168.0.2.
Likewise, you can't have the 2 Windows machines with the NETBEUI name
MY-MACHINE at the same time.  They'll see each other and barf on the
network.  I make sure one is offline until I bring the other up and
reconfigure it.

>>  but I've
>> imaged...6?...servers from win2k to win2003 with that tool.
>>
> Do you run them all in VM's from one hardware box?

2, actually, mainly because of lack of storage.  These were little-used
machines :-)  The hardware was on the last legs, and we needed them to
keep chugging along until they could be migrated.  No one with more cash
would recommend what I've done with these systems (with the number of
VM's running on VMWare Server free, not the full VMWare product) in a
production environment, but they've WORKED.  And they worked well for
our purposes so far.

>> *shrug* just an idea, if you're just studying it for your own purposes
>> and learning.
>>

> I think I should try this on a hobby machine and poke around a bit.

I doubt you'll be disappointed, or at least you'll discover that there
are purposes for VMWare.  With the setup I have now, I don't use
snapshotting...I haven't experimented with it, but I have heard that
using snapshots puts some limits on the flexibility of your VMs.  I will
make backups by using tar -cvzxf to set of external hard drives on my
home setup, then if I need to restore to a previous state I just untar
it.  Great for developing/testing software.  Windows goes nuts? Restore!

Good luck!

-Bart