Laptop lockup

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Feb 22 04:53:34 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/21/2008 10:30 AM, Neil Cherry wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Odd... mine always has dmesg (today) plus previous days: dmesg.0
>>> (yesterday), dmesg.1.gz (yesterday), dmesg.2.gz (two days ago) - then
>>> again I boot each day on this machine.
>> I double checked and there is only dmesg there. Oddly enough I
>> found out that when it 'locked up' today I was able to hit
>> CTRL-ALT-DEL and it cleanly shutdown. So the machine isn't locked
>> up but the screen is. I haven't quite figured it out just yet
>> but that's a major step forward.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> PS I hope to get time to look at the bug list later on.
>>

> What are your power setting set at? Perhaps it's going into a failed
> sleep or suspend mode. Also, if you can CTRL-ALT-DEL, then you might
> also be able to go into tty (Ctrl-Alt-F1-F4 - use Ctl-Alt-F7 to return
> to gui mode and see if you can see anything in the message logs.

I spoke too soon, the laptop locked up a few more times. :-/

I've tried ALT-F1 and tried to log in, no reaction from the hard disk
and no login or reboot.

> You also mentioned that the laptop seems hot and the fan is on when this
> happens - I wonder if perhaps there is a cpu heat sensor (bios or
> ubuntu) triggering the state? I'd first check your bios settings to see
> if you have a setting for cpu temp monitor & actions.

The total info I have so far is this the machine only locks
up if it the display is off. The machine is usually warm
but today I found the PC locked up and the PC was not warm.
I think I found it just after it crashed.

> To check, you can try:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/sensors-applet
>
> sudo apt-get install sensors-applet
>
> Then right-click on your top panel, add to panel, scroll to System &
> Hardware & add "Hardware Sensors Monitor"
>
> [disclaimer: I've not tried it]
>
> BTW: What is your laptop & laptop specs (memory, cpu, ram etc)?

model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 1599.960
cache size      : 512 KB

Mem:        498880     481952      16928          0      10424     146012
-/+ buffers/cache:     325516     173364
Swap:       698788      32252     666536

40G Drive

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com