Low end PC as home server, what package should I install?

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Tue Feb 19 22:58:28 UTC 2008

> LAMP sounds like big-time overkill for the OP's application. Just
> samba should do him fine.

LLMP performs much better on small systems. I have used Lighttpd on
embedded systems with a 266 MHz geode and 128 MB RAM and on a hacked
NAS with 266 MHz powerpc and 64 MB RAM with good performance. PHP
over fastcgi works even faster than mod_php with apache.

> > I'd also recommend installing Webmin:

webmin uses perl, perl is a performance killer on small systems.

Gerald