Low end PC as home server, what package should I install?

Joerg Desch jd.vvd at web.de
Tue Feb 19 07:04:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:28:04 +0800
Raymond Lee <raycml at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an IBM desktop PC (about Windows 98 2nd release(or whatever it
> was called that started support USB devices) time frame). I have added
> to a total of 192MB.

That's enough. Like Matthew, I would install the server edition without GUI.

I'm running a really old AMD K6 with 333MHz and 128MB ram as server for my "home LAN". I have installed Samba for the Windows clients, NFS for the growing number of Ubuntu clients, sshd for the remote access, hylafax to get the installed fax card up and running and a small http server (boa).

The HD is a low power samsung drive with 120GB. The CDROM is still installed, because there is no difference in the power consumption. I'm using a very old PCI graphics adapter to have at least a local text console.

In the end, the system has a power consumption of 17W!

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>