Low end PC as home server, what package should I install?

Matthew Clarke mj3clark at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:17:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 2:39 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Install the server bits. You can do them one at a time, but the
> following will bring them all in at once:
>
> - Synaptic: Edit|Mark Packages by Task|LAMP server (or Edubuntu server)
>
> - command line: sudo taskel install lamp-server

LAMP sounds like big-time overkill for the OP's application. Just samba
should do him fine.

> I'd also recommend installing Webmin:
>
> http://www.webmin.com/
>  http://doxfer.com/Webmin
> Note: I'd recommend changing the default port from 10000 to something
> else & changing the admin password immediately after install.

yes, webmin can be a real handy thing for a non-command line person. (and
lazy admins like me) Sadly I find that it does not integrate with ubuntu
server in a nice "just works" manner -- i.e. by default it does not start
automatically on boot.

(webmin has its own bundled web server, so you do not need to install apache
to have it work...)

--
Matthew Clarke