Low end PC as home server, what package should I install?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 19 19:39:47 UTC 2008

On 02/18/2008 10:22 PM, David Vincent wrote:

> Many of us do exactly this.  I use the desktop version of Ubuntu and
> enable Remote Desktop so I can VNC in and use GUI tools.  I also install
> the OpenSSH Server so I can SSH in and do tasks via the command line if
> that is easier.

I do as well & would definately recommend installing the desktop version
until familiar with the server bits & pieces; doing will save a lot of
aggravation if you're just starting out. You can always trim the
packaged programs down if you want to limit disk space/memory etc. I
have one running on a 7GB disk drive in a 400Mhz machine for testing
purposes.

Install the standard desktop version (Gnome/Ubuntu or KDE/Kubuntu -
whichever you are most familiar with).

Install the server bits. You can do them one at a time, but the
following will bring them all in at once:

- Synaptic: Edit|Mark Packages by Task|LAMP server (or Edubuntu server)

- command line: sudo taskel install lamp-server

I'd also recommend installing Webmin:

http://www.webmin.com/
 http://doxfer.com/Webmin
Note: I'd recommend changing the default port from 10000 to something
else & changing the admin password immediately after install.

I don't run RAID (I'm cheap, no disks, etc), but this might be helpful:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FileServerWithRAID?highlight=%28server%29>