Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:44:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Tom Rausner wrote:
>  > Hi, again !
>  >
>  > I still haven't got my USB-switch to work in spite of all the good
>  > advice from this list. I've been doing som googleing on the internet,
>  > and it seems that this switch has been proven to work with SOME linux
>  > versions (as far as I can see; SuSe and Debian). So i thoughed 'why not
>  > Ubuntu?
>  >
>  > There is no software involved coz it's plug and pray, so that can't be
>  > the problem. Does anyone have an explanation to why it's transparent to
>  > Windozer but not to Ubuntu. Maby that would give me some ideas on how to
>  > eliminate the problem.
>  >
>     Do you have a nVidia video card on your computer with no pointer? In
>  a terminal do this:
>
>  sudo lspci | grep nVidia
>
>  This will tell you if you have a nVidia video card and if so then you
>  need to erase the word 'splash' near the end of the  kernel line of the
>  kernel that is booting the system. That will get your pointer back. It
>  is a feature of nVidia :-)

Perhaps I'm misreading the problem here. The OP has a problem with a
USB switch and you are telling him to remove the splash from his
boot-up parameters if he has an nVidia based graphics card?

The poster has a problem with his USB printer not being seen when it's
connected via this USB hub. Nothing to do with nVidia, invispble
pointers or kernel boot parameters.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0