Ubuntu Server & VMware

Devon Harding devonharding at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:43:30 UTC 2008

> Review what is installed "dpkg --list" and remove what you KNOW you don't
> need. Another place to start is /etc/init.d to see directory what services
> are installed.
>
> In practice I believe you will only gain very minimal improvements by
> disabling services. I would do this only from a security point of view or
> when the server is actually maximally loaded (when you should rather
> consider upgrading).
> VMWare takes quite a performance impact from virtualizing hardware. So
> ensure you:
>
>    - Use VMWare drivers, as they can 'avoid' using hardware emulation
>    and take a more efficient route.
>    - Reduce requirements for hardware resources. Make sure you have
>    sufficient memory for caching.
>
> Also monitor system load and performance. Ensure you don't spends hours on
> winning virtually nothing.
>
> If your virtualizing only Linux, you could attempt the Xen route, which
> makes use of paravirtualizaiton, avoiding the hardware emulation steps. In
> all cases, you will pay for virtualization. Only the price varies.
>
> - Joris

I ran 'dpkg --list' and it resulted in over 200 packages.  I wanted a
general rule of thumb when building a VMware server.  Trying to get close to
ESX as possible.

Also, I did virtualize one Windows 2003 box.  How can I update it with full
vmware drivers?  Uninstall them from device manager and 'scan for new
hardware'?

-Devon