stupid question: custom kernel-deb for gutsy?!

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Feb 6 16:37:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 16:22 +0100, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Folks;
>
> currently (for reasons I don't want to outline here), I am once again
> into building a custom kernel for one of our Ubuntu machines. Haven't
> done so in a while, so I searched the web for some explanations on what
> is "the ubuntu way" in gutsy to do that. Especially (as this machine is
> a notebook), I want to have the bootsplash and all these things right
> in place even with a new kernel.
>
> So far I found:
>
> - ... a bunch of tutorials relying upon make-kpkg, which seems missing
> on my system, and "kernel-package" (which obviously is to provide this
> very command) is "not found" as well in my gutsy repository.
>

> - ... a bunch of other tutorials relying upon "fakeroot
> debian/rules ..." in the kernel tree. Unfortunately, even while
> installing linux-source-whatever.deb including "Ubuntu patches", the
> debian/ folder is empty.
>
> So, I am kinda lost. :) Can anyone provide me with an idea how to
>
> (a) get kernel-package / make-kpkg installed on gutsy, or
> (b) get meaningful stuff to "debian/" to use this way, or
> (c) follow any other way to get a sane, stable kernel?
>
> Thanks and best,
> Kristian
>
> --
> Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
> jab: kawazu at jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771
> "One dreaming alone, it will be only a dream; many dreaming together
> is the beginning of a new reality." (Hundertwasser)

I am not one who builds custom kernels, but a quick check on the ubuntu
wiki got this reference:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

This tells where to find make-kpkp:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild

I hope this helps you out. I have no other answers except to search the
user-list archives, since this has been discussed before:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users

good luck,
--
Charlie Kravetz