SOLVED Re: Another networking problem

Christopher Biessener christopherpb at voomtech.com
Tue Dec 30 18:57:26 UTC 2008

Christopher Biessener wrote:
> John French wrote:
>
>> Almost everything works fine - everyone can connect to the internet, and
>> the Windows machines can see the shares on all the other systems, and I
>> have even copied files from one Ubuntu system to the other when sitting
>> at a Windows machine. BUT I can't see the other systems from the Ubuntu
>> machines. From the server, by going to Places > Network, I can see the
>> host names, but not the files on them - if I click on a system, it does
>> nothing for about 30 sec. and then shows a blank screen.
>>

> I've had the same problem since the Ubuntu updates on Dec 4th.  I tried
> posting my issue before but had no response.  I can ping just fine using
> hostname.  If I try to connect to the Windows share with the same
> launcher that used to work I get the following error:
>
>     Couldn't display "smb://voomfs/public/".
>     Error: Failed to mount Windows share
>     Please select another viewer and try again.
>
> I don't believe it's a DNS issue, but rather a samba issue.  I have
> tried to reinstall samba from a clean slate.  I've even tried smb2www
> and smbc as alternate viewers to nautilus.  Nothing works.  I don't
> remember what the Dec 4th updates were, nor am I familiar enough with
> Ubuntu or Synaptic to figure out how to back out the updates.  (BTW, I
> am also running Hardy.)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Christopher Biessener

OK, I found /var/run/dpkg.log and identified the packages that were
updated on 12-4-08.  One at a time I downgraded them.  The list of
downgrades is:
     hal-info 20080317+git20080318-1ubuntu4   from    hal-info
20081124-0ubuntu1~hardy
     libsnmp15 5.4.1~dfsg-4ubuntu4   from   libsnmp15 5.4.1~dfsg-4ubuntu4.2
     libsnmp-base 5.4.1~dfsg-4ubuntu4   from   libsnmp-base
5.4.1~dfsg-4ubuntu4.2
     libc6-dev 2.7-10ubuntu3   from   libc6-dev 2.7-10ubuntu4
     libc6 2.7-10ubuntu3   from   libc6 2.7-10ubuntu4

My Windows network browsing still didn't work, then I realized I had
downgraded samba.  I re-upgraded samba and now I can once again browse
my Windows network.

Recap - I'm not sure at this point which of the 5 upgrades listed above
is the culprit.  I don't care as I've got my network working again.  If
I find the specific culprit I will update this thread.

Thank again,

Christopher Biessener