openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank [SOLVED]

dwain dwain.alford at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 09:54:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Leonard Chatagnier
<lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Congratulations on your success; you fixed it yourself.
> However, I leave you with one thought. If you didn't
> proceed with the rming of /.openoffice.org and rebooted
> or at least log out and back in, then you'll never know
> if that would have fixed the issue and perhaps allowed
> continued use of the proprietary nvidia driver. If you
> did follow through with it, then it would be nice to
> let the list know the results.

yes, i rebooted the system after removing the nvidia driver and that's when
i got the menus back.  i reinstalled the driver again to make sure that was
the problem and after installation no menus.  i removed the driver, rebooted
and got my menus back.  i thought that was some strange behavior, but my
system runs better with the ubuntu video driver.  since i don't use desktop
effects and i don't do 3d, using the ubuntu driver is the way to go for me.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God.  " - Kahlil Gibran