openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank [SOLVED]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 14:32:35 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 12/25/08, dwain <dwain.alford at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: dwain <dwain.alford at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank [SOLVED]
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 2:27 AM
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>
> > Just to call attention on what may be an oversight
> here.
> > if this command was run as shown below it didn't
> have the
> > desired effect:
> >  mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org  copied
> from below.
> >
> > so, I don't think dwain actually removed oo.o and
> had it
> > regenerated and may explain why no joy. Just tack a
> .old
> > on the end of the command and redo everything and
> perhaps
> > some success will come out of it.  HTH.
> >

> this time i solved it.  it was the proprietary nvidia
> driver.  remove the
> driver and i get my menus back.
>
> cheers,
> dwain

Congratulations on your success; you fixed it yourself.
However, I leave you with one thought. If you didn't
proceed with the rming of /.openoffice.org and rebooted
or at least log out and back in, then you'll never know
if that would have fixed the issue and perhaps allowed
continued use of the proprietary nvidia driver. If you
did follow through with it, then it would be nice to
let the list know the results.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net