Problems

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 01:05:48 UTC 2008

Jan Mosterd wrote:
> 1. The Citicards website does not work anymore with Ubuntu 8.04, the
> login portion disappeared after the updates....  I have another computer
> with Ubunto 7.10 and that works fine.

As far as I could tell, the Citicards web site is poorly coded, and they
have a useless Flash animation that covers the entire screen - that is
why the login screen briefly appears and then disappears once flash is
activated. That, and / or they have used some IE-specific HTML construct
to specify location / size of the Flash animation.

Anyway, what I did was to block the following flash URL in Ad-block Plus:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/swf/savecards.swf

Ad-block Plus is a Firefox extension - you will need to install the
extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865) and
restart firefox.

Once you have Adblock Plus installed, click on the little drop-down
arrow to the right of the Adblock Plus (ABP) icon at the right of the
Google search bar and choose 'Preferences'. In the dialog that comes up,
choose 'Add filter' and enter the flash URL above. Close the dialog and
try navigating to the site again.

Alternatively, you could try navigating to the Citicards site with
Konqueror - it usually worked for me.

Sundar.