Selling Linux to Windows Users

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Tue Dec 9 21:50:08 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> It depends on whether 3D modeling is needed.
>>>
>>> http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html
>>> http://linuxgazette.net/issue54/frost.html
>>>
>> 3-D modelling isn't exactly CAD, either. If I am designing a more
>> efficient airplane wing, I need CAD. Even if I am developing a press
>> for making keys, I need CAD.
>
> Probably because it seems CAD is mutating much like the antivirus
> industry. Antiviruses aren't about viruses any more. They're malware.
> Why? Trojans aren't viruses. Phishing pages aren't viruses. Spyware more
> often than not do not act like traditional viruses. They call themselves
> antivirus, but they're not. They're anti-malware.
>
> CAD software seemed to take it's cue from the flagship AutoCAD...which
> today is a behemoth application that can do everything short of actually
> using a 3D printer to create your finished product. People frown on a
> CAD application that just does...well,...CAD.
>
> At least, that's my observation.

I used P-CAD back in the mid 80's for EE. The P-CAD system was many
times over way more effective and professional than AutoCAD, which I
also used for one company. Okay P-CAD also did cost near 10 times more
than AutoCAD. I just speculate, was it too expensive or why do we not
hear about it anymore?

--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |