Opening unknown filetypes from Firefox: KDE users please confirm

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:30:07 UTC 2008

2008/12/8 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
> On 12/06/2008 06:42 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have an issue where Firefox asks with which application to open
>> unknown file types, however, instead of giving me a list of
>> applications to choose from I get the File Chooser dialog. Could
>> someone please confirm / deny this issue in Ubuntu, as I use Kubuntu
>> and I need to know if this is Kubuntu specific? Thanks.
>>
>> Also, if someone is using KDE on Ubuntu (not Kubuntu per se) then
>> please confirm / deny this issue with your configuration. Thanks!
>>

> The action that you describe & show in your .png in the bug
> (http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18369144/firefox-opening-psd.png) is the
> same on Gnome as it is in Kubuntu. The same occurs in SeaMonkey as well
> (1.1.13, 1.1.14pre, 2.0a2). And, I don't recall Fx linux ever having the
> same as Windows (see next) whereby you can click 'Browse' and bring up
> the "Choose Helper Application" box.
>
> This doesn't appear to be an Ubuntu issue; I'd recommend that you file a
> bug on Firefox directly if you can't first find an already filed bug
> first (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/). I'd also recommend that you check
> the Firefox user and development newsgroups first:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
>  http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>   [Newsgroups and mailing lists]
> Newsgroups and mailing lists
>
> Use a newsgroup reader like Thunderbird post questions in the
> "mozilla.support.firefox" newsgroup, available on news.mozilla.org
> (Mozilla's news server) Please read the Mozilla Forum Etiquette page
> before posting.
>
> The Ubuntu Fx folks may get around to responding to your bug report
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/232046), but if
> they don't know the immediate answer they'll most likely just move it
> upstream. That takes their time, your time, and probably won't result in
> an answer anytime soon. However, going directly to the application
> support & user newsgroups - mozilla.support.firefox (dev is
> mozilla.dev.apps.firefox) _will_ get you an answer. May not be the one
> you like, but if they can't answer it, then neither can Ubuntu launchpad.

I do not agree that this is a Mozilla issue. Mozilla makes the
browser, but it is up to Ubuntu to take the different programs
(browser, media player/ text editor / etc) and make them work
together.

Can someone with a Macintosh or Windows computer confirm / deny that
in those systems the user is presented with a list of PROGRAMS when
downloading an unknown file type?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü