Opening unknown filetypes from Firefox: KDE users please confirm

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 8 00:36:15 UTC 2008

On 12/06/2008 06:42 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have an issue where Firefox asks with which application to open
> unknown file types, however, instead of giving me a list of
> applications to choose from I get the File Chooser dialog. Could
> someone please confirm / deny this issue in Ubuntu, as I use Kubuntu
> and I need to know if this is Kubuntu specific? Thanks.
>
> Also, if someone is using KDE on Ubuntu (not Kubuntu per se) then
> please confirm / deny this issue with your configuration. Thanks!

The action that you describe & show in your .png in the bug
(http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18369144/firefox-opening-psd.png) is the
same on Gnome as it is in Kubuntu. The same occurs in SeaMonkey as well
(1.1.13, 1.1.14pre, 2.0a2). And, I don't recall Fx linux ever having the
same as Windows (see next) whereby you can click 'Browse' and bring up
the "Choose Helper Application" box.

This doesn't appear to be an Ubuntu issue; I'd recommend that you file a
bug on Firefox directly if you can't first find an already filed bug
first (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/). I'd also recommend that you check
the Firefox user and development newsgroups first:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
  http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
   [Newsgroups and mailing lists]
Newsgroups and mailing lists

Use a newsgroup reader like Thunderbird post questions in the
"mozilla.support.firefox" newsgroup, available on news.mozilla.org
(Mozilla's news server) Please read the Mozilla Forum Etiquette page
before posting.

The Ubuntu Fx folks may get around to responding to your bug report
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/232046), but if
they don't know the immediate answer they'll most likely just move it
upstream. That takes their time, your time, and probably won't result in
an answer anytime soon. However, going directly to the application
support & user newsgroups - mozilla.support.firefox (dev is
mozilla.dev.apps.firefox) _will_ get you an answer. May not be the one
you like, but if they can't answer it, then neither can Ubuntu launchpad.