Printers on the network

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Dec 4 14:29:06 UTC 2008

Occasionally I try printing a PDF and it appears to get "stuck" in the
queue, processing for 10, 20, 30 minutes or more, and then a
notification balloon appears in my top panel bar with the printer icon
telling me that the printer may be disconnected from the network or not
connected.

The printer still pings on the network, and it's happened with a couple
printers (although the most recent was using an HP LJ5000). I suspect
something has gone wrong with the rendering of the print job, but I'm
not finding the stuck process.

I tried "sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart", no error, but still won't print.

Anyone else have a workaround or fix for this? Or even experience it?
Seems like a restart fixes the problem (and I'm doing a batch of
upgrades at the moment so I have to restart now anyway) but insight as
to what is happening would be appreciated.