What is wrong with firestarter?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:56:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/27 Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I read something here about Firestarter not being so good to use. What
>> > is the problem with it? I use it and like it so far but don't want to
>> > get hacked because of using it over something better.
>>
>> I recently wrote here that I didn't like firestarter because it didn't
>> always do what *I* expected it to do.   I'll freely admit it might be
>> *me* that's the issue, not firestarter.  I haven't used it in a while
>> so maybe it's even improved.  I do recall having issues with it not
>> starting even though the documentation said only the GUI wasn't
>> starting - but that was roughly around the release of Dapper.
>>
>> At the risk of giving an essay response where one line was requested -
>> I think there are two points you should keep in mind.
>>
>> One - You don't need to get to excited about firewalls on a regular
>> Ubuntu desktop unless you like experimenting with stuff that isn't
>> installed by default.  A firewall stops access to a port - but unless
>> there's something running on that port it's a moot point.  That's why
>> Ubuntu ships without a running firewall after all.  They only come in
>> handy to cover up your mistakes so to speak - if you leave a port open
>> by accident (maybe you didn't even know that program you installed
>> opened one!) it'll keep it private.  It's not a cure-all.
>>
>> Two - Never ever trust a firewall without verification!   Like
>> backups, if you don't test your firewall, you might as well not have
>> one  (because you quite possibly DON'T have one!).
>> Learn how to use tools like nmap <http://nmap.org> or `man nmap` and
>> Shields Up <https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2> and interpret what
>> they mean.  Then you can use any of the firewall tools with
>> confidence, because you KNOW they work.
>>
>> Brian
>>
> If I can ask a related question without creating a new thread, please read
> the next sentence, otherwise just ignore me:
> Is it correct that, if I just want to configure my firewall once and for
> all, I could just install Firestarter (or one of the alternatives), do my
> settings and, if my settings are good, uninstall Firestarter (or the
> alternative) and never have to use it again, unless I have to change my
> settings?
> J.R.

As the starter of this tread, I have NP with it moving on to how best
to use these programs.

To the other post, I have SSH and Apache both set up and running for
home use. Sometimes I use other tools also like torrent, IRC and skype
and local in house networks too. Being a relative Newbie to all this
network stuff keeps me in fear but how else do you learn?

I use firestarted and have tested it with those probe sites, got all
good ratings.

I have no clue about nmap but will read the man if it makes any sense
(ever try and read man sudoer? Nightmare!).

--
Douglas E Knapp