What is wrong with firestarter?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 29 16:12:27 UTC 2008

Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

>>> In a way yes. However, when you uninstall firestarter you would normally
>>> also remove the scripts /etc/init.d/firestarter and
>>> /etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh which sets up the package filtering at
>>> boot time.
>>
>> You can however, you "iptables-save" before uninstalling firestarter or
>> other gui (it might even use it, itself), remove the firewall gui, then
>> setup an initscript to run iptables-restore at every boot.
>
> Guarddog can do this without being run every boot.
> ;-)

Most firewall guis do.  They have the gui program that creates the iptables,
and they have an initscript that reloads them at every boot.  The point was
that if you removed the GUI you used to build the firewall, it would
usually remove the initscript, so you'd need another way to turn them on.

In the end, it's just easier to keep the gui tool around - you _will_ need
it again!
--
derek