Can't pin down DVD no mount problem

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at aapt.net.au
Tue Aug 26 22:37:45 UTC 2008

G'day there Rashkae,

> I'm wondering if maybe the media change detection is what's broken.
> Here's something to try (And I admit, at this point, I'm only shooting
> in the dark)
>
> First, create an eject icon for your cd-rom.  You can add a "Custom
> Application Launcher" to your gnome panel, and for the command, simply
> put eject /dev/cdrom

    Done!

> When you click on this icon, your cd-rom tray to should pop open.  (I

    It does.

> have a notebook here that goes all the hell if I press the eject button
> on the CD-rom while the HAL automount stuff is trying to work.  though
> in my case, the whole notebook becomes unresponsive and I have to
> reboot.  Using the eject program fixed this)

    That sounds like a large pain in the rear.

> Next, put in the install dvd.  Hopefully it won't work :), If this is
> the one time in 20 it does work, eject it and try again.

    It didn't mount. Just made a whole bunch of "trying to mount the
disc" noises.

> Now, from the terminal, issue command:
>
> sudo mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

    On this occasion, it mounted OK.

> I'm interested to know what happens or what erros you get if that
> command does not work.  (or if it works every time
    I've only run it once so far, successfully. The command "diff
dmesgA.txt dmesgB.txt" gives:

ken at Epona:~$ diff dmesgA.txt dmesgB.txt
541a542,544
 > [ 3066.532981] autofs: called with bogus options
 > [ 3084.315093] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
 > [ 3084.420638] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

    I was able to mount it 4 times in a row with the command you gave.
My movie DVD doesn't mount at all and gave the following:

ken at Epona:~$ diff dmesgA.txt dmesgB.txt
541a542,546
 > [ 3066.532981] autofs: called with bogus options
 > [ 3084.315093] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
 > [ 3084.420638] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
 > [ 4107.587341] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
 > [ 4107.665196] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

    I've looked up the "bogus options" line on Google and came up with a
whole heap of stuff that didn't apply in this instance. Admittedly, I
didn't check everything found but haven't got time at the moment to
narrow the search. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for helping,
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia