Can't pin down DVD no mount problem

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Aug 26 14:12:25 UTC 2008

Ken McLennan wrote:

> ken at Epona:~$ diff dmesg.txt dmesg2.txt
> 540a541,543
>> [  322.649908] UDF-fs: No VRS found
>> [  322.666466] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
>> [  322.713041] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
>
>    Actually the install DVD automounted on one occasion, but only once
> out of about half a dozen attempts.
>
>> Send us everything that was added to the dmesg log from the time the dvd
>> was inserted.
>>
>    A Google search showed that the "UDF..." line indicates that it's not
> handling the filesystem type. I've tried variations of the fstab line
> with "udf"; "iso9660"; and "autofs" but none worked. I'm not sure where
> to look next.
>
>    Further searching indicated that the udf kernel module may not be
> installed, and when I checked it wasn't. However it's not loaded, I've
> rebooted and it still won't load. The above lines, however, no longer
> appear in dmesg.

So those messages in the dmesg were from the one time it successfully
mounted?  So far that's what I would expect.  Data DVD's mastered on
Linux (such as the Ubuntu install DVD) rarely have UDF, since the Linux
udf tools are.. poorly designed for that purpose.

I'm wondering if maybe the media change detection is what's broken.
Here's something to try (And I admit, at this point, I'm only shooting
in the dark)

First, create an eject icon for your cd-rom.  You can add a "Custom
Application Launcher" to your gnome panel, and for the command, simply
put eject /dev/cdrom

When you click on this icon, your cd-rom tray to should pop open.  (I
have a notebook here that goes all the hell if I press the eject button
on the CD-rom while the HAL automount stuff is trying to work.  though
in my case, the whole notebook becomes unresponsive and I have to
reboot.  Using the eject program fixed this)

Next, put in the install dvd.  Hopefully it won't work :), If this is
the one time in 20 it does work, eject it and try again.

Now, from the terminal, issue command:

sudo mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

I'm interested to know what happens or what erros you get if that
command does not work.  (or if it works every time)