Vim 7.2 on Ubuntu 8.04

Ashish Yadav ashishyadav26 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:26:17 UTC 2008

> Well the Vim developer described the release as 'minor' as per your link
> to google groups.

Yes but what I have seen on net according to that the improvements are
really worth for it.

> The developer of Vim describes them as "security improvements". And 7.2
> as a "...minor release of Vim".

Still they suggest to upgrade it if possible.

> Yes, from the Vim developers. If they maintained the Ubuntu Vim package
> you would see that ready too. (And would they also want to maintain
> Vim-Gnome and Vim-GTK et al.)

cygwin has all and I don't think vim.org maintains it for them.

> But who knows? Maybe it's in the works. I'm just giving you guesses on
> why it's not there. From your OP, why do you think Ubuntu "does not seem
> interested in it?" Just because it's not in the repo yet?

I didn't see any bug report for wishing it also, yes because it is not
in repo, I wasn't accusing that was just a phrase of saying.

> And also, If you really have to have it. File a bug on the package and
> get somebody's attention on it. Namely the package maintainer. Even if
> it doesn't go into Intrepid (and hardy-backports). Somebody might put it
> up in their PPA as a deb.

Done that.

--
Regards,

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't"