e2fsck causing apt-get warnings

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Aug 10 19:07:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 00:12 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> Another thing I noticed was that there are several files named like
> #35754, #35854, #36747, #766145, etc. in /lost+found directory.
> Probably they have something to do with the root partition check with
> e2fsck.

Your filesystem has issues, which might be caused by a dying harddrive.
The fsck couldn't fix some of those errors (which is rare and indicates
a serious problem), which happened to affect directories/files that APT
relies on. What remained of these files is now in lost+found.  That's
why you are getting these APT errors. If you are lucky, you might be
able to glean from the salvaged files in lost+found which packages are
affected.