e2fsck causing apt-get warnings

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:23:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:

> Your filesystem has issues, which might be caused by a dying harddrive.
> The fsck couldn't fix some of those errors (which is rare and indicates
> a serious problem), which happened to affect directories/files that APT
> relies on. What remained of these files is now in lost+found.  That's
> why you are getting these APT errors. If you are lucky, you might be
> able to glean from the salvaged files in lost+found which packages are
> affected.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Just finished backing up important stuff... just in case.

I also investigated the files in /lost+found. Three of them are some
scrollkeeper XML files. The other 5 files were some ELF object files.
But since their names were 5 numbers in a sequence
(i.e. #766145  #766146  #766147  #766148  #766149  #766150  #766151)
I thought they were parts of a single file. Using the strings command on them
it seemed like some kernel module. After some further poking, I think it is
'/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/net/sched/sch_netem.ko' (not
very sure though).

So it seems that this directory does not contain anything related to APT.
Maybe the stuff APT can't find could not be recovered by e2fsck :-(

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee