Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

Jerry Alber jalber at kitcarson.net
Mon Aug 4 05:28:55 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/03/2008 05:02 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:
>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> I tried replacing the keyboard, using the wireless keyboard but nothing
>> worked. I tried doing an install from the "official" CD from Canonical
>> using Safe Graphic Mode and clicking on the install folder on the
>> screen, but the install did not include Grub.
>>
>> So, I went back to the Alternate CD and did an install from there (all
>> of the installs are clean, meaning that I re-format the partition) and
>> it seemed to go fine. I entered a username and a password and when I
>> rebooted the system and entered the username and password it looked as
>> if it were going to do something. It did - it went back to the loginin
>> screen with no errors. The next time, I entered a wrong password just to
>> see what it would do, and I got an error right away.
>>
>> When mounting the partition from Fedora 8, is there someplace that I can
>> check to see what it is doing, or rather, not doing with the username,
>> password? If I check /var/log what log/s should I look at and what
>> should I be looking for?
>>
>> I also have a thread in Launchpad, and it seems as though I am not the
>> only person having this problem. So far, there were no solutions and
>> some people have become so disgusted that they have given up.
>>
>> Let me know if you can think of what I should be looking for in order to
>> try and solve this "latest" problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jerry
>>

> That's just odd...
>
> Maybe Leonard has a good point; at the login window, can you select
> "Options" (lower left corner) and then select "Select Session", then
> "Failsafe GNOME" mode. Let's see if it's flipping back because xserver
> is crashing. Before you do that however; do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and see if you
> get a tty login, see if you can login that way. If you can login from
> tty mode then log back out ('exit') and return to the login screen
> (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and login using Failsafe GNOME.
>
> As for checking the logs from FC; check /var/crash and see if there is
> something in there, as well as /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

NoOp,

Thanks for your very quick reply!
I checked /var/crash and there was nothing there. I also checked
/var/log/xorg.0.log. It was there and very long but I am not sure
exactly what I should be looking for.

I can get in by using "Failsafe GNOME". I also used Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get
into that TTY. I logged in and then typed "startx". It said "Server is
already active for display 0. If this server is no longer running,
remove /tmp/.X0-lock and try again. I removed the lock and did startx.
It started and I got the regular GUI screen with the 2 panels - top and
bottom.

It seems to work as it should unless I go back to Ctrl-Alt-F1 which
takes me to that TTY screen, but when I go to Ctrl-Alt-F7 which should
take me back to the GUI I just left, I get the login screen instead. If
I log in, it goes no where and I just sit there with an orange screen.

Interesting.

Jerry