Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 5 01:26:14 UTC 2008

On 08/03/2008 10:28 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> That's just odd...
>>
>> Maybe Leonard has a good point; at the login window, can you select
>> "Options" (lower left corner) and then select "Select Session", then
>> "Failsafe GNOME" mode. Let's see if it's flipping back because xserver
>> is crashing. Before you do that however; do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and see if you
>> get a tty login, see if you can login that way. If you can login from
>> tty mode then log back out ('exit') and return to the login screen
>> (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and login using Failsafe GNOME.
>>
>> As for checking the logs from FC; check /var/crash and see if there is
>> something in there, as well as /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>>

> NoOp,
>
> Thanks for your very quick reply!
> I checked /var/crash and there was nothing there. I also checked
> /var/log/xorg.0.log. It was there and very long but I am not sure
> exactly what I should be looking for.
>
> I can get in by using "Failsafe GNOME".

Cool! That means that gdm is probably having fits with your graphics
card/driver.

I also used Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get
> into that TTY. I logged in and then typed "startx". It said "Server is
> already active for display 0. If this server is no longer running,
> remove /tmp/.X0-lock and try again. I removed the lock and did startx.
> It started and I got the regular GUI screen with the 2 panels - top and
> bottom.

That's normal & cool again! Just logout of the tty (or use 'exit') and
use Ctrl-Alt-F7 after exit. That will take you back to the login screen
or your gdm session depending upon when you exited gdm to to tty.

> It seems to work as it should unless I go back to Ctrl-Alt-F1 which
> takes me to that TTY screen, but when I go to Ctrl-Alt-F7 which should
> take me back to the GUI I just left, I get the login screen instead.

That's not normal, but it might be because you are still having problem
with your graphics - so put that one on the back burner for now.

If
> I log in, it goes no where and I just sit there with an orange screen.
>
> Interesting.

OK, now that you are in gdm mode, open a terminal and:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

log out and try to log back in normally by setting the session to
"GNOME" and see if that works. Your resolution might be off & if it
causes you to not see the panels, use: Alt-F2 and enter:
gnome-display-properties
and see if you can set your proper resolution. If that doesn't work, use
Alt-F2 again and enter: gksu displayconfig-gtk
and try to set the screens from there. Note: click the "Graphics Card"
tab & see if your GC driver looks correct. If not don't do anything yet,
just post back on what it shows.

If it still gives you fits, set the session back to "Failsafe GNOME" and
log back in.

I think we are getting closer... as I see it, this is a graphics
card/driver gdm issue, & again _thanks_ for your patience in testing all
of this. If we can peg down your problem(s) then you can post on your
launchpad thread & hopefully help others & the developers modify the
install CD's.