ubuntu 8.04 lts cups problem

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 22:30:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM, James R. Jones <bnjrj at uaf.edu> wrote:
> Chris Mohler wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM, James R. Jones <bnjrj at uaf.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a small problem, cups does not want to work.  When I go to system
>>> ->
>>> administration -> printing and click on go to server the connect to cups
>>> window server pops up with /var/run/cups/cups.sock and my username in the
>>> user name box.
>>>
>>> The error message is the following:
>>>

>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> Are you connecting a local printer?  I think the "connect to server"
>> might be unnecessary if so.  Can you reach http://localhost:631 in a
>> browser?  What make/model of printer are you trying to use, and how
>> does it connect (USB. Parallel, etc.)?
>>
>> I've only used the "connect to server" button to attempt to reach
>> remote print servers.  I think you can ignore the error in the syslog
>> - I see a similar message and CUPS is 100% functional here.
>>

>> Chris
>>

> Chris,
>
> Yes I have tried the http://localhost:631 to talk to cups, but I get the
> error "can't establish connection to server at localhost:631"
>
> Localhost is in my host file because I can ping localhost and get a reply
> back.
>
> That is why I think it is a problem with cups itself but am at a loss where
> to begin.

Might be a red herring, but what's the output of 'sudo iptables -L'?

Also, maybe this is worth a shot:
sudo dpkg --purge --ignore-depends=cupsys cupsys
sudo apt-get install cupsys

I just tried it and it didn't break anything (that I noticed).  The
"--purge" should clean out all of the old config files.

If that doesn't work, you might try 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure cupsys'

Let me know if any of these work for you...

Chris