virtualbox fans?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Aug 1 13:51:52 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/30/2008 12:01 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>
>>> To set the VBOXSVR folders, you need to define them in Devices|Shared
>>> Folders. They can be transient or machine. Note: I use NAT mode, not
>>> bridged - all of the machines I can browse are all on the same subnet
>>> (192.168.4.xyz) as this (host) machine.
>> Did this part - currently shared as "machine", and the testbed is NAT.
>> Testbed is virtual to 10.0.2.x, host is in 10.46.x.x.
>
> VB defaults to 10.0.2.x - here is mine:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\gg>ipconfig
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.2
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2

Mine's defaulting to 2.15 as well in the session.

> All of my machines are set for 192.168.x.yyy and the VB guest can browse
> those that I share via Samba with no problem. Some are fixed IP's some
> are DHCP IP's - all are on the same 192.168.x subnet; I've not tried
> putting one on a different subnet to see if I can browse.

Okay, I can bring up systems by IP address to connect to their shares
(prompts me for the domain user and password to connect, so the VB
machine can't seem to join the domain on a different subnet but can see
those to browse by IP...makes some sense.)

>> I can say I'm not finding anything other than the label of "virtualbox
>> shared folders" as an icon in entire network, using net use x:
>> \\vboxsvr\sharename (no matter which shared folder name I have tried so
>> far) gives an error...think it's error 67, and trying \\vboxsvr in the
>> address bar in case I can browse like a network share just gives an error.
>
> Devices|Shared Folders|Add|Browse icon - and that should show you your
> machine directory/folders. You then add & make permanent or temporary.
> The second

Did that part.

> o \\VBOXSVR\<another shared folder on this host machine>
> that I mentioned earlier is actually the other dualboot WinXP drive that
> I have on this machine. So, if it's mounted, you can typically add it.

Nope. Host is "sharing" to VB /home/bsilver/downloads with the name
downloads, but in the virtual system \\vboxsvr\downloads won't come up.

> I had an issue when I upgraded from 1.5x to 1.6x. I found that
> uninstalling and then reinstalling Client for Microsoft Networks did the
> trick for me in Win2KP. See my notes on this bug report:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1680
> [06/27/08 18:28:21 changed by NoOp]

I might have to try uninstalling and reinstalling MS Network to see if
that helps at all :-/