Which Grub file to use?

Tim timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 30 09:02:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 14:14 -0700, Keith Clark wrote:
> How does Ubuntu know where to find the correct Grub file to use?  I
>  have 3 operating systems on my hard drive, XP, Pclos, and Ubuntu.  I
>  want to remove Pclos but Ubuntu is using it's grub menu.lst file.

Ubuntu uses the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

If /boot is a separate partition, shared between pclos and Ubuntu, you
should be able to delete the pclos stanzas, while in Ubuntu, then re-use
the partition(s) that were dedicated to pclos.

If /boot is on the main pclos partition, then you will have had to tell
ubuntu to mount that partition somewhere, and configured grub to use
that mounted partition, instead of the default /boot (possibly by
making /boot  a symbolic link).  In that case, you will need to copy
the /boot directory hierarchy off the pclos partition to the /ubuntu
partition (removing the existing /boot directory or symlink if necessary
first), then rerun grub under ubuntu.

Tim