Which Grub file to use?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 30 16:40:44 UTC 2008

On 04/29/2008 02:14 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
> How does Ubuntu know where to find the correct Grub file to use?  I
> have 3 operating systems on my hard drive, XP, Pclos, and Ubuntu.  I
> want to remove Pclos but Ubuntu is using it's grub menu.lst file.

This might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

Also, if you know where grub is, you can tell it where to find it.
Example (all commands from within Ubuntu terminal):

====
sudo grub
root (hd1,4)
setup (hd0)
quit
====

Reboot.

So
"root (hd1,4)"
in this case tells grub that my root is on drive 1, partition 4 (hda5).

and
"setup (hd0)
tells it to put grub on drive 1.

Obviously you'll need to adjust to your requirements. This link gives a
nice explanation of setup:
http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_repair_your_grub

Also; recommend making a supergrub CD:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/