very basic about initial install

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 26 19:39:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:46:42 -0500
reader at newsguy.com wrote:

> Server install appears to be the same install routine but with ncurses
> sort of windows... So instead of a crippled gui install its a crippled
> gui primitive ncurses install.....I don't understand this at
> all... seems kind of ridiculous ... I hope this isn't a sign that once
> installed many other `features' also appear ridiculous compared to
> other linux distros.

OK, since you want to do things with pure command line...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot
http://www.linux.com/articles/114165

The procedures are almost exactly the same for Ubuntu or Debian, not
surprisingly.

By the way, if you really want to do things in the purest fashion, you
could even start from a boot floppy, or there's always
Linux From Scratch, if Ubuntu still seems so crippled to you -

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Incidentally, both Ubuntu and Debian have completely functional command
line operation, with or without X, and if you want to choose your own
shell, you can do that too. I suggest starting with a thorough reading of

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

Have fun...

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net