Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 25 01:09:44 UTC 2008

On 04/24/2008 11:09 AM, Paolo wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> You'll probably want to put xserver-xorg-video-ati back.
>
> Yes, it's there.
>

>> However, for your screen resolution:
>>
>> Applications|Other|Screens
>
> No such option.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall displayconfig-gtk

Then if it is still not showing up:
right click on Applications, then "Edit Menus". Go to "Other" and you
will find it there - tick the box. They moved it from
System|Administration, there is a bug report on it somewhere, but I
don't have it handy right now. Basically the idea was to "hide" it so
that commoners don't mess with it.

I have Applications | Other | ATI Catalyst Control
> Center (which says Problem ... No ATI graphics driver is installed,
> or the ATI driver is not functioning properly...)

Sorry, can't help you there.

> and Graphics if System|Preferences|Screen
>> Resolution isn't working.
>
> When I try to go there, I get the message: "The X Server does not
> support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the
> display size are not available."

Ah... that's exactly the problem that I was having earlier today on my
other machine (intel onboard video chipset).

Xrandr was replaced by x11-server-utils.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall x11-server-utils

Make a backup of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and then check your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and change:

Subsection  "Display"
		Depth  <some number>
		Virtual <some number> <some number>
Subsection  "Display"
		Depth  24
		Virtual 1280 1024

Note: The Virtual settings may differ for you & you may have to adjust
Depth as well, but those settings worked for me.

Reboot. I advise reboot rather than logout/login as I'm not sure what
drivers get reloaded at boot after the changes.

Note: If all else fails, reboot and select "Recovery Mode" from the Grub
menu. When that recovery menu comes up, select "xfix Try to fix the X
server" and when it finishes, select "resume resume normal boot". That
will load a generic xorg.conf (that's why you save your old one :-),