minimum RAM for Ubuntu

debiani386 debiani386 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:50:06 UTC 2008

Hilary Naylor wrote:
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu (or Edubuntu) on a Dell latitude CPt laptop
> that was donated to my school. The installation stalls at the point where
> there is a brown rectangle on the screen and the icon for Nautilus appears.
> The laptop has only 129MB RAM (and a 6GB hard disk). Is this the reason it
> is stalling? Is there a minimal version of Ubuntu I could use? I am afraid
> that more RAM for the laptop will be too expensive.
>
> thanks
> Hilary
>
> ----
> Hilary Naylor
> Technology Coordinator
> Parker Elementary School
> Oakland, CA

The latest stable ubuntu requires atleast 256 mb ram. You _may_ be able
to run the latest ubu on the current machine, but it will take a lot of
swap space. But ubuntu will fit just fine on a 6 gig. I do recommend
upgrading the ram and hard disk though for better performance.

The reason it is stalling is because you dont have enough ram to run it
from the live cd. If you wish to install it on your current
configuration, you need to get the alternate install (a text based
installer).

Now if you really have to, you could use ubuntu 6.06 LTS as it is still
supported

--cj